Background: The current Marine Order 42 deals with carriage, stowage and securing of cargoes and includes requirements for loading of freight containers and blending of bulk liquid cargoes. The Order gives effect to Regulations 2 (Cargo information), 5 (Stowage and securing), and 5-2 (Blending of liquid bulk cargoes) of Chapter VI of the International Convention on Safety of Life of at Sea 1974 (SOLAS).
In November 2014, the Maritime Safety Committee (MSC) of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) adopted amendments to SOLAS chapter VI contained in IMO Resolution MSC.380 (94), which come into force internationally on 1 July 2016. The amendments provide new regulations for the verification of the gross mass of a packed container.
Marine Order 42 is amended to:
- give effect to the new SOLAS regulations for verification of gross mass of containers
- move existing requirements on weighing gross mass of containers from Marine Order 44 to this Order
- move existing requirements of SOLAS Chapter VI Regulation 5-1 for material safety data sheets (MSDS) from Marine Order 21 to this Order
- include SOLAS Chapter VI Regulation 4 on the use of pesticides on ships and for fumigation of cargo transport units
- rename the Order to make it more appropriate to the subject and contents.
The ECA is keen to hear from you so that we can assist AMSA in developing best regulation.
Click here to provide your feedback